AYURVEDA PUMPKIN COCONUT SOUP
Ayurveda Pumpkin Coconut Soup
- 2 onions
- 1 bite of fresh ginger (e.g. walnut size or more, the more the spicier)
- 750g (or one medium size) Hokkaido Pumpkin
- 2 tbsp Ghee (well I just used peanut oil)
- 1 liter coconut milk (or 4 cups)
- 1/2 liter chicken stock or veg stock
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp good curry (e.g. from Rajah)
- I also add 2 crushed garlic cloves
- The volume of the garlic and ginger should be the same.
Chop onion finely. Peel the ginger and garlic and chop finely as well. With the ginger it is important to cut it first in very thin slices, to cut across the threads, then chop it finely.
Take the pumpkin and peel it and cut in bits. This is for me the most work really with the soup.
Then heat the oil in the pot you want to cook/serve the soup in. Add onion, garlic and ginger and fry, add curry and stir. Then add the pumpkin and let simmer and stir, while preparing the coconut milk and broth. Finally add the liquids to the soup, stir a bit, salt it a bit and let cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes.
Then when the soup is finished cooking, take a magic mixer and puré the soup finely. I have this Braun mixer that I can just put in the pot and push a button and hokus pokus all is mixed, really handy :-)
If you like you can take some pumpkin bites before out of the soup to decorate with, along with grated coconut and onion rings.
Yesterday I only had 500ml (2cups) coconut milk and I let it do, then I just used 1 liter of the broth instead to come to the 1 1/2 liter of liquid, then the soup only was a bit thinner but still very tasty.
Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. This soup serves 4 as a main dish.