- Quinoa-Corn Salad
- * 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- * 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- * Juice of 1 lemon
- * 1 tablespoon olive oil
- * 2 or 3 scallions, minced
- * Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bean Salad
- * 1-pound can pinto, pink, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- * 1 heaping cup diced canned tomatoes
- * 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- * 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- * Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- * Pumpkin seeds
- * 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
Add quinoa and simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes.
When the quinoa is done, remove it from the heat, fluff it with a fork, and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
Combine the quinoa with the remaining ingredients for the quinoa-corn salad and toss well.
While the quinoa is cooking, combine all the ingredients for the bean salad in another bowl and toss together.
To assemble the Aztec Platter, transfer the quinoa-corn salad onto a large platter and spread evenly to within an inch or so of the edge.
Pushing the salad outward from the center, make a well in the center of the platter about 5 inches in diameter.
Mound the bean salad into the well, and sprinkle with a handful of pumpkin seeds. Optional, arrange pepper strips around the edge of the platter.