Aztec Torta (Layered Tortilla/Mole Pie or Aztec Cake)
2-3 B/S Chicken Breasts
1 Jar Mexican Crema (or 1 cup Sour Cream)
2 cups Mexican Oaxaca Cheese – Shredded (you can Mexican blend cheese)
1 jar Dona Maria’s Mole Sauce (in the Mexican section of your grocery store)
1 jar Nopales (in the Mexican section of your grocery store)
(use French cut green beans if you don’t want to use the nopales)
1 cup frozen Corn kernels
1 can black beans
18-24 Corn Tortillas (6 inch)
Fresh Parsley or epazote (in the produce section of your Mexican market)
1. Boil the chicken breasts in water until cooked through. I usually add some mike to the water and a bay leaf. You can also use rotisserie chicken breasts. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and set aside.
2. Prepare the mole sauce according to the directions on the jar. Add a bit less water tan required so you get a bit thicker sauce.
3. Rinse the nopales and set aside. (if using the French green beans, thaw before using)
4. Thaw the corn kernels and set aside.
5. Rinse the black beans and set aside.
6. Pour enough oil into a skillet so that you can cover a tortilla. Began frying the tortillas until they are crisp and slightly brown. Drain on a paper towel while you continue to fry the tortillas.
7. Preheat oven to 350.
8. In a 13x9 glass baking dish, lay out some mole sauce and then cover with 4-5 tortillas. Put in some of the chicken, nopales, corn, cheese and beans. Drizzle with the crema and mole sauce. Repeat 3 times and cover with any remaining cheese and mole sauce.
9. Bake until the cheese melts, 25-35 minutes and serve hot. Garnish with a final drizzle of crema and parsley.
Pairs Well With
This is a favorite that I learned from my husband. There are a few shortcuts, but in the end it tastes just great to me (though not as good as his mother's). It's a quick and fun way to explore the Mexican delicacy known as mole. This is not a dessert!
Submitted by: "James Madden"