- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 TB Butter
- 2 TB AP-Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp White pepper
- 1 cup Whole Milk (Warmed to about 110)
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Melt Butter over low heat in sauce pan, let it bubble a little bit to remove some of the water.
- Combine flour and seasonings, then add to the butter in the pan.
- Cook over low heat until the roux becomes smooth and bubbly.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly add the milk while whisking.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring just to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Reduce to a simmer and whisk continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Cooked in Butter Group:
- Sauce Albert – Saute 1 minced shallot, 1 TB Grated Horseradish and ¼ tsp Dry mustard; Add 1 TB each of Sherry, Vinegar and Butter after sauce is thick.
- Sauce Champignon – Sauté 1/2 cup mushrooms in the butter; Stir in 1/8 cup crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk after sauce is thick
- Sauce Duxelles – Sauté 1 minced onion until soft then add ½ cup minced mushrooms; Stir in 1/8 cup crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk when sauce is thick.
- Sauce Moutarde – Sauté 1/2 TB dry mustard in the butter; Finish with 3 TB Heavy Cream when sauce is thick.
- AFTER COOKING ADDITIONS:
- Aurore Sauce - Stir in 1/4 c. tomato purée and 1 TB sherry to parent recipe.
- Chantilly Sauce - Stir in 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 2 TB whipped Heavy Cream. Serve with eggs or vegetables.
- Mornay Sauce - combine 1 egg yolk, 2 TB Heavy Cream and 2 TB grated Parmagiano-Reggiano.
- Cheddar Mornay – Add 1/4 tsp Dry Mustard with the flour; add 1/2 cup Extra Sharp Cheddar (Grated) at the end.
- Herbe de Provence – Add 1 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence to the sauce.
- Quenelle Sauce - Stir in 1/8 c. crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk blended mixture, 1 T. Heavy Cream, a chunk of unsalted butter, and finish the sauce with 1 TB Sherry and 1 drop red food coloring
NotesThe French Mother Sauce, Although Originally of greek origin) with so many variations it's staggering. Here are just a few (Below the recipe instructions):
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
Grandma's Thin PancakesSee More