- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 TB Butter
- 2 TB AP-Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp White pepper
- 1 cup Whole Milk (Warmed to about 110)
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Melt Butter over low heat in sauce pan, let it bubble a little bit to remove some of the water.
- Combine flour and seasonings, then add to the butter in the pan.
- Cook over low heat until the roux becomes smooth and bubbly.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly add the milk while whisking.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring just to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Reduce to a simmer and whisk continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Cooked in Butter Group:
- Sauce Albert – Saute 1 minced shallot, 1 TB Grated Horseradish and ¼ tsp Dry mustard; Add 1 TB each of Sherry, Vinegar and Butter after sauce is thick.
- Sauce Champignon – Sauté 1/2 cup mushrooms in the butter; Stir in 1/8 cup crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk after sauce is thick
- Sauce Duxelles – Sauté 1 minced onion until soft then add ½ cup minced mushrooms; Stir in 1/8 cup crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk when sauce is thick.
- Sauce Moutarde – Sauté 1/2 TB dry mustard in the butter; Finish with 3 TB Heavy Cream when sauce is thick.
- AFTER COOKING ADDITIONS:
- Aurore Sauce - Stir in 1/4 c. tomato purée and 1 TB sherry to parent recipe.
- Chantilly Sauce - Stir in 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 2 TB whipped Heavy Cream. Serve with eggs or vegetables.
- Mornay Sauce - combine 1 egg yolk, 2 TB Heavy Cream and 2 TB grated Parmagiano-Reggiano.
- Cheddar Mornay – Add 1/4 tsp Dry Mustard with the flour; add 1/2 cup Extra Sharp Cheddar (Grated) at the end.
- Herbe de Provence – Add 1 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence to the sauce.
- Quenelle Sauce - Stir in 1/8 c. crème fraîche and 1/2 TB egg yolk blended mixture, 1 T. Heavy Cream, a chunk of unsalted butter, and finish the sauce with 1 TB Sherry and 1 drop red food coloring
NotesThe French Mother Sauce, Although Originally of greek origin) with so many variations it's staggering. Here are just a few (Below the recipe instructions):
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
My Family Cookbook
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More