- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces penne or similar pasta
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2-3 cups skinned and boned cooked or roasted chicken, torn into large pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir in the flour until well blended. Gradually stir in the milk and broth and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture is smooth and comes to a boil, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan; remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente or about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook about 2 minutes more. Drain well and rinse with a little cold water to stop the cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Combine the pasta, broccoli, cheese sauce and chicken; spread in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Drop pieces of blue cheese on top and tuck into the pasta with your fingers. Sprinkle the surface with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until top is golden and mixture is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave.
NotesI found this in a Barilla Pasta cookbook. It is excellent. The original recipe calls for roasted chicken but cooked is as good. It also calls for fresh broccoli and I substituted frozen.