- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 3/4 c. mashed ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tb. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. peanut butter chips
- 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a 10" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together banana, egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chips. The dough will be sticky.
- Spread dough in 8 1/2" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 19-21 min. or 'til lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Chip, chip hooray! Three favorites -- banana, peanut butter and chocolate -- combine for a heavenly treat."