- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 Tb. brandy or water
- 3/4 c. lightly slated macadamia nuts or walnuts.
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 c. mashed ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. sugar for glaze (optional)
- generous dash of ground cinnamon for glaze (optional)
- Lightly oil a 10" diameter circle on baking sheet. In small heavy saucepan, stir together sugar and brandy. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly 'til sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to boil. Cook with out stirring for 4 min. 'til mixture turns amber and caramelizes. Immediately stir in macadamia nuts and stir to coat the nuts with syrup. Immediately scrape mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Cool for 20 min ''til hardened. Transfer mixture to cutting board and chop praline.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 11" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together bananas, eggs and vanilla. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. Stir in praline.
- Spread dough into 9" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mixture over tops of scones, if desired. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 30-35 min. or 'til lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Get a taste of the tropics with these jumbo-sized scones. For variety, make the praline with other types of nuts."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Adventures in CookingSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More