BBQ Chicken Burgers and Waffle Fries
1/3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1/3 cup grape jelly or seedless raspberry jam
3 cups frozen waffle-cut or thick-cut french fried potatoes
4 slices packaged ready-to-serve cooked bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped honey-roasted walnuts or almonds
1 tablespoon bottled barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
8 ounces uncooked ground chicken or turkey
1/2 cup shredded Italian-blend cheeses, Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, or Gorgonzola cheese
Snipped fresh chives
8 dinner rolls or cocktail-sized hamburger buns, split
Sliced tomato and/or lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Combine the 1/3 cup barbecue sauce and the jelly or jam. Mix with a wire whisk until smooth. Set aside.
2. Arrange waffle-cut potatoes or thick-cut french fried potatoes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with chopped bacon. Bake for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl combine bread crumbs, nuts, the 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Add ground chicken; mix well. Shape into 8 balls; place 2 inches apart on greased shallow baking pan. Moisten the bottom of a glass and press each ball to about 1/4 inch thickness.
4. Place pan of burgers in oven. Bake fries and burgers for 5 minutes. Stir fries; turn burgers. Continue baking burgers and potatoes for 5 more minutes.
5. Sprinkle cheese over fries. Brush barbecue sauce mixture on burgers. Bake burgers and potatoes 2 minutes more or until burgers are no longer pink in center and cheese is melted on fries.
6. To serve, sprinkle fries with snipped chives. Place mini burgers in cocktail buns with additional barbecue-jelly mixture spooned over. Top with tomato slices and/or lettuce. Makes 4 servings.