BBQ OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
BBQ Oven Fried Chicken
- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Amounts for this recipe are not exact. I didn't measure a single thing.
- 5 - 6 pieces of chicken. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you want crispy....keep the skin on.
- 2/3 bottle of KC Masterpiece Southern-Style Barbecue Sauce (divided)
- 1 cup or so (as needed) of flour
- Seasonings for the flour (use whatever you normally use when making fried chicken. I use salt and pepper, garlic powder, paprika and poultry seasoning)
- about a cup of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter or margerine
- 1/4 cup shortening (do not substitute oil for this)
Preheat the oven to 425'. Line a baking sheet with foil (easy clean up). Melt the butter and shortening on the sheet. Being careful not to burn it. Cuz then you'll have to start over (been there, done that).
Get out 3 dishes (pie plates or round cake pans work great). Pour about 1/3 of the bottle of barbecue sauce in one dish. Because KC Masterpiece's Southern-Style Barbecue Sauce is thin-bodied it's perfect for dipping. In another dish combine the flour and seasonings. In the 3rd dish, pour in your buttermilk.
One at a time....dip the chicken into the buttermilk, then into the flour. Then dip it into the bbq sauce and then back into the flour. Carefully place the chicken (skin side down if applicable) onto the prepared baking sheet. I say 'carefully' because you don't want to disturb all your hard work by inadvertently removing the coating. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 30 minutes. The time frame will depend on the chicken. If using bone-in....30 minutes for sure. I did my boneless thighs for 20 - 25 (boneless breasts will be less). Then carefully turn the chicken over (trying not to leave any of the coating behind) and continue baking for the same amount of time. During the last 10 to 15 minutes, pour the other 3rd of the bbq sauce over the chicken.
Remove and let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
Website Credit: http://peacefulcooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/bbq-oven-fried-chicken.html