- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 1 beef brisket (6 to 8 lbs)
- * 2 large onions, sliced
- * 2 large lemons, peeled and thinly sliced
- * 2 cups port (or grape juice concentrate thinned down with apple juice--if you use this alcohol route, eliminate brown sugar)
- * 1/2 cup brown sugar
- * 4 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- * 1-1/2 tsp. coarsely pepper (1)
- Trim excess fat from brisket. In a roasting pan, place onion slices, lemon slices, and garlic. Lay brisket on top of vegetables.
- Mix together port or juices, brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves, then pour evenly over brisket. Sprinkle brisket with pepper, and cover roasting pan tightly with foil. Bake in a 300" oven until brisket is tender when pierced, about 4 hours. (2)
- When brisket is tender, uncover pan and return it to the oven. Raise temperature to 450" to brown the meat, about 20 minutes. Remove brisket from pan.
- Skim fat from pan juices and put juices and vegetables into sauce pan. Boil, uncovered, stirring often. As mixture thickens, reduce heat to medium and stir constantly; cook until thick and shiny, and reduced to about 1-3/4 cups. Add salt to taste. To serve slice across the grain, spoon marmalade over brisket. For fancy, garnish with lemon "bows" and chopped parsley.
NotesNOTES: (1) _Important_ at this point, do _not_ add salt to the pan or sauce. It would dry out and toughen the meat, especially if the meat had been produced according to kosher guidelines.
(2) A this point, brisket may be refrigerated until the final cooking.