BEET & BEAN SALAD WITH WARM BASIL-BACON DRESSING
- 1 (16-oz.) jar sliced pickled beets, drained reserving 1/2 cup liquid
- 1 (19-oz.) can cannellini (white Italian kidney beans) or other canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (10-oz.) bag Italian blend salad mix
- Warm Basil-Bacon Dressing:
- 1/2 cup reserved beet liquid
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon or real bacon bits
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In large bowl, combine beets, beans, celery and onion; mix gently but thoroughly. Add salad greens; toss to combine.
To make dressing, in small saucepan combine reserved beet liquid, pesto, bacon and pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally, without boiling.* Pour over salad mixture; mix gently but thoroughly. Serve immediately.