- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 c. fresh or thawed, drained frozen blueberries
- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 11" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon peel. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, gently knead in blueberries 'til evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- To prepare topping, in small bowl stir together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over dough to cover. Press crumb toping lightly into dough. Wtih serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 30-35 min. or 'til lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 15 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
NotesThese cake-like scones are chock-full of blueberries and covered with a delicious crumb topping. They're great at breakfast and brunch, as well as dessert."