BRAISED BABY ONIONS WITH ORANGE JUICE AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds fresh small cipolline onions or pearl onions
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Blanch onions in large pot of boiling salted water 15 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl of ice water to cool. Trim root end if necessary, leaving core intact. Peel onions.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and saute until onions have deep golden brown spots, about 9 minutes. Add orange juice and vinegar; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until onions are just tender when pierced with knife, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to medium bowl. Boil juices in skillet until syrupy and reduced to 2/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Pour over onions. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm or bring to room temperature before serving.)
- Market Tip:v Cipolline onions are small, flat Italian onions. They can be found in the produce section of many supermarkets and Italian markets.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
NotesThese make great snacks with cocktails and as a side dish
with roasted meats.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More