- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock (preferably homemade or canned low-sodium broth)
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- In a large flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, heat the bacon grease over medium heat. Season the beef brisket with salt and pepper. Working in batches to avoid crowding, add the brisket and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer the brisket to a plate.
- 2. Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beef stock. Return the brisket to the pot and add the chilies. Bring to a simmer over high heat, skimming off any foam that forms on the surface. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the brisket is tender, about 2-1/2 hours.
- 3. During the last 30 minutes, stir in the potatoes, corn, and cilantro. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes. Skim any fat from the top of the stew. (It's easier to remove the fat if the stew is cooled to room temperature, covered and refrigerated overnight. Discard hardened fat from surface. Reheat gently over low heat before proceeding.)
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of the cooking liquid with the flour until smooth. Stir into the stew and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper; serve hot. Freezes and reheats well.
Jesuit Tampa - Between Practice and Homework
The Italian Exchange
My Family CookbookSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More