- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. milk
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled to room temp.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. coarsely broken walnuts
- additional walnut halves, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, stir together the milk, chocolate, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and knead together to combine. Knead in walnut pieces.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 7" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Decorate the edge with walnut halves, if desired. BAke 17-20 min. or 'til a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of a scones comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it.!
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Recut into wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Chocolaty and nutty scone that are great with a glass of milk."