BRUCE'S POOR MAN'S CRAB CAKES
- 16-18 ounces canned chicken *
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, such as parsley and chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion tops, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- Pinch salt, optional
- Pinch pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
Break the chicken up into very small bits. Squeeze all of the moisture out of the meat. Mix all of the ingredients and shape in 4 patties. I put a sheet of wax paper on a small baking sheet then dropped the chicken mixture into piles. I used my hands to shape each pile into a patty. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties 4-5 minutes per side, flipping carefully, until golden brown on each side.
Makes 2-4 servings
Can be frozen
* I used two 10-ounce cans of white meat chicken and after draining both cans I ended up with only 10 ounces of meat total. I think the amount called for is the weight before draining because I seemed to have plenty for the recipe. I'm not too happy about paying for 10 ounces of water though.