- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 2/ tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. currants or raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in currants, if desired.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 8" circle on an ungreased baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 18-20 min. or 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of a scones comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min.
- Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Classically delicious. For a new twist, substitute other types of dried fruits for the currants."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Best of Eva's Family Recipes
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More