- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 t minced onion
- 2 tsp. garlic
- 3 oz. chocolate
- Pre heat oven to 400F. Place beets on cookie sheet. Roast until soft (about
- 40 minutes).
- - Peel and seed squash. Cut the squash into small chunks.
- - Place squash and 2 cans of broth into a large pot with the seasonings. Bring
- to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 30 minutes.
- - Test the squash and beets for tenderness (they should be very soft). Use a
- hand blender and puree the squash until smooth.
- - Peel beets and puree with 2 cans of broth.
- - Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- - Pour both soups into one bowl. Add a dime-size amount of melted chocolate
- to the soup.
- - Use a toothpick and submerge it just next to the chocolate, then pull the
- toothpick through the chocolate to make a heart shape.
- - This soup is also great served as an hors d'oeuvre at a cocktail party. For a
- unique presentation, simply fill espresso cups with a “shot” of soup and pass
- them around on a tray.
- - To save leftover soup, try freezing it in ice cube trays. Then if you want a cup
- of soup later, you can pop a few soup cubes into a mug and place it in the
- microwave for a few minutes.
- - When you serve soup at home, try dressing it up with a dollop of sour cream,
- a sprinkle of chives, or some crispy fried onions.
NotesCooking Expert: Paul McCullough
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More