BABA AU RHUM
Baba Au Rhum
- 3 3/4 cups (500 grams)sifted bread flour
- 1 1/4 cup (300 gram) butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon (20 grams) sugar
- 2/3 ounce (20 grams) yeast
- 7 whole eggs
- 1/3 cup (1 decilitre) warm milk
- 6 tablespoons (50 grams) currants
- 4 tablespoons (50 grams) golden raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (10 gram) salt
- Sirop à Baba (Syrup for Babas):
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup (2 1/2 decilitre) rum
Method: Put the sieveed flour into a large wooden bowl, make a well in the middle, put salt and yeast into this well, having diluted the yeast with warm milk. Add eggs and work the paste with the hands to mix well.
Detach those portions of it which stick to the walls of the bowl and add to the paste. Distribute softened butter in small quantities over the paste. Cover and keep the paste in a warm place until it has doubled its original bulk. Then add sugar and knead the paste so that it may absorb the butter. Add raisins and currants anhd mix well. Put the paste into well buttered large moulds, filling the moulds only up to one-third of their height. Bake in a hot (350ºF) oven for 45 minutes and allow to cool before turning out of the mould. Pour syrup over the cake and sprinkle with the liqueur recommened: rum, kirsch or other.
Sirop à Baba (Syrup for Babas): Cook sugar & water until it reaches 220ºF. Add rum and cook an additional 10 minutes.