BABI KECAP - PORK IN SWEET SOY SAUCE - INDONESIA
Babi Kecap - Pork in Sweet Soy Sauce - Indonesia
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 6 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger,minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh red chili or sambal oelek* (hot red pepper paste)
- 1/2 cup Kecap Manis* (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
Cut the pork into 11/2 inch cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok until very hot and fry the pork until evenly colored; do not overcrowd the pan or the pork will begin to stew instead of browning. Transfer to a heavy saucepan or baking dish.
Peel and finely chop the onion. Sauté in the remaining oil wutg the garlic and ginger until softened, then add the lombok (chili) or sambal oelek and sauté again briefly. Add to the pork with the remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, then simmer gently over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is completely tender and the sauce is a bit reduced. Skim the fat from the surface before serving.
* These ingredients can be purchased at your local Oriental food market and on the Internet.