- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 lb ground lamb (or dice up some lamb chops)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 16oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 dozen dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 2 Tbls cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbls curry powder (yes, that's tablespoons - this should be spicy)
- 2 Tbls orange marmalade or chutney
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins, craisins, or chopped dates
- 1-2 cups dry rice
- flour tortillas, burrito-size (or injera)
- Brown meat in large pot and drain off fat.
- Add onion and almonds and saute until onion is translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in curry powder, dried apricots, and raisins.
- Start cooking rice.
- To onion mixture, add chopped apple, tomatoes, and marmalade.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Mix the sugar and vinegar, stir into the pot, and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas, stir, and cook until rice is done.
- Lay a line of rice on each tortilla, spoon the meat sauce over it, and roll up like a burrito.
- (If using injera, it's too fragile to make burritos. Lay one injera on your plate to soak up the juices, spoon a pile of meat in the middle, tear another injera into pieces, and use the pieces to scoop up handfuls of meat. When done, eat the sauce-soaked injera on the plate.)
NotesThis is an Americanized version of an East African recipe - the original probably would not have had as much fruit. My family always wrapped the meat and rice in flour tortillas as below, but nowadays the African bread called injera is available in U.S. stores, and not only is it more authentic but I prefer its sourdough-like flavor.
Submitted by: "David Ackermann"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More