BABY CHICKEN SALAD WITH SOY MAYO
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped finely
- 1/4 c. cold soy milk
- 1/2 c. oil
- 2-3 tsp. white wine vinegar
- dash of hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour soy milk into a blender. With the top off and the blender set on medium speed, pour oil into the blender in a very thin stream. Mixture will thicken to the consistency of whipped cream. Turn off the blender and stir in remaining ingredients. In a bowl, add a few tablespoons of mayo to the chicken and toss to coat.
- Serving Ideas: Stuff into a whole wheat pita or bread.
- Serve over rice or cold pasta with yogurt.
- Add finely chopped veggies or a little vegetable puree to make this a full meal. Jude likes his with beets!
NotesI'm a Miracle Whip girl. I married a Mayonnaise guy. I have no idea what will happen with Jude. Except that so far I won't feed him either one. I read the ingredients for the first time on the back of the jar of MW and decided he wouldn't get to taste it. Enzyme modified egg yolks didn't sound all that yummy to me. But then neither did whipping up some raw egg yolks to make real mayo for my little man.
I decided to make some soy mayo using a recipe I found in an old recipe collection my boss got when she did Outward Bound in the 70's. Hand typed, thread bound, and full of gritty vegetarian and vegan fare that would make a hippie proud. I made a few adjustments for Jude, and was actually pretty impressed with the outcome. I quartered the recipe and it was still enough for his portion and a big bowl for me. Once you make your baby's salad, feel free to add a bit of spicy dijon mustard or more vinegar to your own. It's awesome on a bed of greens with some walnuts and dried cherries!