- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 Dz
- Preparation Time:
- 24 pumpernickel party rye bread slices
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 bacon slices, cooked, crumbled, and divided
- 5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Arrange bread slices on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Broil 6 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add Cheddar cheese, whisking until cheese melts.
- Stir in diced turkey, salt, and ground red pepper.
- Top bread evenly with warm cheese-turkey mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese and half of bacon.
- Bake at 500° for 2 minutes or until Parmesan is melted.
- Top with tomato slices, and sprinkle evenly with remaining bacon.
- To make ahead: Prepare the cheese-turkey mixture, cook the bacon, and grate the Parmesan the day before the party.
- To reheat cheese mixture, place pan over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and warm.
- Assemble and proceed as directed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More