- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking spray
- 2 T dry breadcrumbs
- 1 3/4 lb peeled white potatoes, cut into 1-in pieces (about 3 med)
- 3/4 c low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 c fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 c thinly sliced leek (about 1 lg)
- 3/4 c (3 oz) finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 6 lg egg whites
- Lightly coat 6 (8oz) souffle dishes w/ cooking spray.
- Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a med saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 20 min or until very tender; drain.
- Combine potatoes, buttermilk, and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a food processor, process until smooth.
- Tranfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
- Preheat to 425 F.
- Position oven rack to lowest setting, remove middle rack.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add leek to pan, saute 6 min or until tender.
- Add leek, cheese, and bacon to potato mixture; stir well to combine.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl, beat at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat).
- Gently fold 1/4 egg whites into potato mixture, gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes.
- Sharply tap dishes on counter 2-3 times to level.
- Place dishes on a baking sheet, place baking sheet on the bottom rack of a 425 F oven.
- Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350 F (do not remove souffles from oven).
- Bake 40 min or until a wooden pick inserted in the side of souffle comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
Cooking Light magazine April 2006.
These were the first savory souffles I've made, and they were easy and delicious!
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More