- Cooking Time: 18 to 20
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. water
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed. With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour - butter bits about the size of small peas. Add grated cheese and mix just until blended. (This can also be done by hand: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Gradually cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese.)
- Add green onions, bacon and 3/4 cup of the buttermilk to flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand just until all ingredients are incorporated. If dough is too dry to hold together, use remaining buttermilk, adding 1 Tbsp at a time, until dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Stir as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a lighter-textured scone. Remove dough from bowl and place it on a lightly flours flat surface. Pat dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatten dough into a circle about 8 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges, depending on the size scone you prefer.
- Whisk egg and water in a small mixing bowl to combine. Brush each wedge with egg wash. Place scones on a Silpat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More