- Cooking Time: 5
- Preparation Time:
- 4 ears of sweet corn, husked
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn; reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Immediately remove the cobs from the water with tongs. Trim the stem end of each ear, then place cut-end down on a board. Using a sharp knife, cut carefully down the cob to remove all of the kernels.
- Repeat with remaining ears. Each ear should yield about 1/2 cup of kernels.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the egg and milk. Fold in the corn kernels, onion and bacon.
- Warm a griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease the hot griddle with oil. In batches, ladle the batter in 1/4-cup spoonfuls onto the griddle.
- Cook cakes, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.