- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI fell in love with these little mac & cheese bites when I first tried them at TGIFridays! I knew I could make them at home and what a perfect time to make them, Super Bowl Sunday 2014! It was also a perfect time to try out my new Bella Baby Deep Fryer that my DS and his girlfriend got me for Christmas! Perfect!
I must say that these are something I would make for a special occasion only because they are very time consuming! A lot of time and work put into these but everyone loved them! I am a fix it and forget it kind of girl and these didn't fit the bill!
These little bites are so creamy and with the bacon, it takes it straight over the top! There are so many mac & cheese recipes out there but I tried my MIL recipe that she made at Thanksgiving and it was delicious! The cheddar cheese soup was a welcome shortcut since I had a lot of things going on in the kitchen for my Super Bowl menu!
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup, only use 1/2 of the can for this recipe
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) pack soft bacon bits
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Place macaroni in a 2 quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese soup and milk until well combined. Add all but ½ cup of the shredded cheese and mix well into macaroni.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Bake 15 minutes. If cheese isn't melted all the way that is fine.
- Remove from oven and stir in bacon bits.
- Let sit until it feels sticky and you can form balls.
- Using a small ice cream scooper (about 2 inches), scoop macaroni into balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place in freezer until frozen, 1-2 hours.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg and milk together.
- In a second bowl, place the breadcrumbs.
- In a third bowl, place the flour.
- Place balls first in the flour, turning to coat, then in the egg mixture. Coat with breadcrumbs, then double coat by placing back in the egg and a final coating of breadcrumbs.
- Preheat your fryer or a skillet with the oil to 350°. Gently place in oil and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Allow to drain for 1 minute.