- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- 3 - 4 springs parsley, chopped up
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 c. finely diced onion
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup. finely diced celery
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper & more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 lb. sliced smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 2/3 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 1 tbsp. Coleman's yellow ground mustard
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- Heat the oven to 375'F.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place in a small bowl.
- Pour milk over it & set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery & garlic; cook until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat & let cool.
- Line a pan with foil to make clean-up easier.
- This baby makes a mess (although it comes up pretty easily if you fill the pan in hot, soapy water).
- Place carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk-bread mixture, meat, eggs, parsley, Dijon, salt & pepper and onion mixture.
- Combine well.
- Place mixture in a large ungreased baking dish (a 9 x 13 cake pan is about right) or roasting pan.
- Shape into a 5 x 12 inch loaf.
- Run bacon around the sides of the loaf, then overlap bacon across the top, covering meat, completely.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, ground mustard & tomato paste to make a glaze.
- Brush meatloaf all over with glaze.
- Bake, brushing every 15 minutes or so with glaze, until juices run clear when loaf is pierced with a 2 pronged fork & the bacon is crisp, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- ** Once the bacon fat starts to run (probably around your second basting--30 minutes into the cooking), spoon off several spoonfuls of fat. Spoon a little more off every time you baste, so it's not sitting in fat as it bakes.
NotesRemember hearing that bacon makes everything taste better? This meatloaf is definitely no exception!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The Social CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More