- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: Serves 4 - 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ⅛ cup chopped parsley
- ½ tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 small thyme sprig
- black pepper
- 4 pound chicken
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrots, coarsely chopped
- ½ large white onion, chopped
- ¼ large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Process bacon, parsley, thyme leaves, a pinch salt and a pinch pepper into a paste.
- Gently separate the skin from the chicken’s breast and legs. Carefully spread the bacon paste under the loosened skin and press on the outside of the skin to evenly distribute. Season the chicken, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together tightly with kitchen string. Can be refrigerated overnight at this point. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
- Scatter the celery, carrot and white onion in a dutch oven; set the chicken on top. Cover and roast on the lowest rack of the oven 30 minutes. Uncover and roast 15 minutes until browned and the inner thigh registers 170°.
- Transfer to a carving board, cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain the pan juices into a bowl; skim off the fat. Pour 2 tablespoons of the fat into a large, deep skillet. Add the sweet onion and thyme sprig and cook over moderately high heat until the onion is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, then whisk in the flour. Gradually add the stock, whisking constantly, until smooth. Whisk in the reserved pan juices and simmer the gravy over low heat, whisking often, until no floury taste remains, about 15 minutes. Discard the thyme and garlic. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and transfer to a warmed gravy boat.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the onion gravy. Serves 10.
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More