- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 carrots, cut in chunks
- paprika to taste
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 2. Rub butter over the entire chicken.
- 3. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- 4. Place the carrots inside the cavity, and tie the legs together.
- 5. Place the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan.
- 6. Lay bacon strips across the top of the chicken, and secure with toothpicks
- 7. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 8. Pour the beef broth into the roasting pan - do not pour over the bacon.
- 9. Roast for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F.
- 10. Baste with some of the broth.
- 11. Continue to roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 180 degrees F. when taken in the thickest part of the thigh. 12. Baste every 15 minutes with the broth.
- 13. Remove the bacon and discard toothpicks.
- 14. Roast the chicken for 15 more minutes to brown the skin.
- 15. Transfer to a serving platter, and remove the ties.
- *You may eat the bacon, but it is best to discard the carrots*