- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis stuff is very basic and highly satisfying. Much better than anything store-bought, I've found. This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown's granola recipe. As long as the proportions remain the same, you can mix and match ingredients.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar to distribute evenly. In a smaller bowl, whisk maple syrup, oil and salt to combine. Pour the syrup mixture over the dry mixture and fold to evenly combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly on to two rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every fifteen minutes, until nicely browned and fragrant.
- Remove granola to a large bowl. After cooling, mix in dried cherries.
- That's it. This stuff will keep in an airtight container for... well, I don't know how long, actually. It never lasts more than a couple of days in my apartment.
- Mix in different nuts (cashews are good), substitute raisins or dried blueberries for the cherries. Like I said, keep the proportions right, and you can swap out whatever you like.