- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound mee noodles* (Chinese dried wheat noodles)
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, skinned and deboned
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 4 stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 10 ounces Chinese peas
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup Kechap manis* (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons coreander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- sambal badjak* (hot red pepper paste with onions and spices) or other sambal to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound bean sprouts
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In advance: Debone and skin the chicken breasts and fry in a little vegetable oil for 4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Bring water to a boil, then put in noodles to cook until firm tender. Place in colander and run under cold water.
- In a large skillet or wok fry onions, garlic and ginger in vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Shred cooked chicken. Lightly fry the shredded chicken. Add onion mixture, cumin, coreander,salt, pepper and all vegetables except for the bean sprouts.
- Add noodles and mix well. Add sambal, chicken broth and soy sauce. Cook for 3 minutes or until hot. Place on a large platter, keep warm.
- Beat eggs well with 1 tablespoon cold water. Melt butter in a large frying pan. Pour in egg mixture and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Cut ommelet into strips and garnish the bahmi.
- Place bean sprouts on individual plates.
NotesThis is a simple dish which can be a one dish meal for lunch or dinner.
* These products can be purchased at your local Oriental food market and on the Internet.
Note: DO NOT use Sambal Taotjo in this dish, because it is too oily.
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Chicken with Basil-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan, and Black Pepper
Blue Cheese Pull Apart Loaf
MINESTRONE SOUPSee More