- Cooking Time: 3 hrs.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pint (2 cups) strawberry ice cream
- 1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint (2 cups) chocolate ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.
- Heat oven to 475ºF. With floured rolling pin, roll pastry into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired. Prick bottom and side of pastry thoroughly with fork. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown; cool on cooling rack.
- Pack scoops of ice cream, alternating flavors, in pie crust. Cover and freeze about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 475°F. In medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat. Beat in vanilla. Spoon meringue onto ice cream; spread gently, sealing meringue to edge of crust. Bake 2 to 4 minutes or until top is light brown. Serve immediately, or cover and freeze no longer than 48 hours. Store in freezer.
NotesPie crust, three ice cream flavors and a meringue—ordinary ingredients that come together to make an extraordinary dessert!