- Cooking Time: 40 to 50
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 large Granny Smith Apples
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 12 slices firm bread, any flavor
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- cinnamon to taste
- Set rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Core and cut the apples into thin wedges, leaving the skin on.
- In a skillet, melt the butter with brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Add the apples and cook stirring for two to three minutes. Transfer to the baking dish and let cool.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples. Cut the slices of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, taking care to dampen all of the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesWhat I like most, other than the taste, of this breakfast casserole is that it can be made the morning you want to eat it rather than the night before.
It is good made with any type bread, but out of this world with cinnamon-raisin bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More