- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 large green apples
- 1 stick (1/2 cup butter)
- 1/2 cup (or more) brown sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 12 slices firm bread (your choice -plain white, wheat French, sourdough, cinnamon or your favorite)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Set rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan. Core and cut the apples into thin wedges, leaving the skin on (may remove skin).
- In a skillet, melt butter with brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Add the apples and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish and let cool.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples. cut the slices of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, taking care to dampen all the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. (This reheats beautifully)
NotesCling peaches may be substituted for the apples, or fruit can even be eliminated altogether. This breakfast casserole may be baked immediately or covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.