- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 Braeburn apples (Fuji will substitute)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients and diced butter. Rub mixture briskly between finger tips until it forms small moist clumps in a loose sandy mixture. Refrigerate while preparing the apples.
- Cut a small layer off the bottom of each apple to create a flat, stable bottom surface. With a small paring knife, cut a cylindrical cone out of the top of the apple, moving about 1-inch outside of the core, similar to removing the top of a pumpkin when carving a Jack O’Lantern. Remove the top and discard. With a melon baller or a teaspoon, remove the remaining core and seeds taking care not to puncture the base of the apple.
- Place apples on a baking sheet or pie dish and fill each center with a teaspoon of honey. Spoon in mixture, packing lightly until heaped and overflowing over sides of the apples.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees on the top or middle rack for 40 minutes or until filling is golden brown and the tip of a paring knife can be inserted into the side of the apple with little or no resistance. Let apples stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Notes(Alton Brown recipe)