BAKED CAJUN CABBAGE
- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- 1 large head of cabbage
- Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter(I used country crock)
- 4 Tbs flour
- 1 cup of celery, onions and green peppers all chopped
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups of milk(I used low fat)
- 1/2 Lb of cheddar cheese shredded (I used Calbot low fat cheddar)
- 1 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- (I used less of both)
Cut the cabbage into bite size pieces. Boil for about 10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain.
Melt the butter in a separate saucepan and add the flour. Blend well.Add the onions, celery, pepper and cayenne. Saute for 10 minutes.Add the milk and stir well. Add the cheese and stir till smoothe.
Place the cabbage in a 2-Qt buttered casserole dish. Add the cabbage, pour the sauce over top with the onions and breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
I sauted the vegetables separately, then added to the thickened sauce. I also added the sauce to the cooked cabbage, mixed well then placed it in the prepared dish.
Next time I will used chicken stock in place of the low fat milk and will add some carrots to the vegt. mix as well.