BAKED CAVATELLI WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND EGGPLANT
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled, cubed (3/4 inch)
- 2 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz. cavatelli (narrow shell pasta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 2-quart casserole. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook and stir sausage, breaking into pieces, until browned. Add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook 1 minute. Add eggplant; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, water and black pepper; cook 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook cavatelli according to package directions. Drain; toss with sauce.
Place half of the mixture in casserole dish; top with half each of the parsley and cheese. Cover with remaining pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining parsley and cheese. Cover with foil. (Casserole can be made to this point 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Baking time may need to be increased 10 to 15 minutes.) Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
PER SERVING: 530 calories, 24 g total fat (9 g saturated fat), 28.5 g protein, 51.5 g carbohydrate, 70 mg cholesterol, 1835 mg sodium, 8 g fiber