- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 (1/4 lb total) bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large chicken thighs with skin & bones, (1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (14- to 16-oz) can stewed tomatoes including juice
- 2 (15- to 16-oz) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy ovenproof skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in skillet.
- While bacon is browning, pat chicken dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brown chicken in fat in skillet over moderately high heat, turning over once, about 8 minutes total, then transfer chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet and reduce heat to moderate. Cook onions in skillet with 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir tomatoes and juice into onions and boil, uncovered, 3 minutes, to concentrate juices slightly. Stir in bacon and beans and bring to a simmer. Nestle chicken, skin side up, in beans and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cooks' note:
- If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, after simmering bean mixture transfer it to a shallow 2- to 3-quart baking dish, then add chicken and bake as above. Add some persillade (chopped garlic minced with flat-leaf parsley), grated lemon rind, and one or two minced anchovy fillet before it goes in the oven
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More