- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 small or 4 large fillets of flounder, sole, cod, haddock or tilapia
- 1/2 lb. uncooked, peeled and cleaned shrimp
- 1/4 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms or 2 cans (3 oz.) broiled in butter mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. sherry
- salt and paprika
- tabasco (optional)
- Cream sauce:
- Melt butter, blend in the flour and then add the milk (or cream), sherry and paprika. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Add shrimp and drained mushrooms. Salt to taste.
- Baking fish:
- Put each of the fish fillets on a square of foil. Spoon a portion of the sauce over each piece of fish, fold up the foil and pinch tightly together. Place wrapped fish on a cookie sheet and bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
NotesAt culinary school, I learned to love fish baked "en papillote". However, I don't always have parchment paper available. This recipe works well, especially with the newer "release" aluminum foil.