- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces) sliced into 20 slices, 1 inch each.
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half and half, I have used fat free half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 TB sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- dash salt
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup paacked light brown sugar
- 1 cup shopped pecans
- 2 TB maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
- Arrange bread slices in a buttered 9x13 in. flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and beat with a whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bead slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350. Pour off some of the extra liquid left inside the pan if too much liquid is there.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup, but I don't even think you need it. Perfect the way it is. This has the flavor of a gigantic cinnamon roll.
NotesI make this for Christmas mornings...Easy...you assemble it the night before. When you wake up Christmas morning all you have to do is put in the oven and shortly after you have a great holiday breakfast. Makes your house smell so good! Great for special occasions too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More