BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- Cooking Time: 40 min.
- 1 loaf of French Bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- topping recipe (see below)
- maple syrup (add apricot jam if desired to maple syrup)
- ½ pound butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour (maybe a little more)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans (Optional- I didn’t put these in)
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well. I refrigerate this overnight in the bowl and put it on top of the casserole right before baking.
Slice French bread about 1 inch each.
Arrange slices in a buttered 9 by 13" pan.
In a large bowl combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a beater or whisk until blended but not bubbly.
Pour mixture over the bread slices making sure they are all covered.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Take the casserole out of the refrigerator, crumble the topping on it and bake at 350° for about 40 minutes until puffed and lightly golden.
I left the foil on for about 10 min. and then removed it.
Serve with maple syrup or apricot syrup. (In a small sauce pan heat together 1 C maple syrup and apricot jam or preserves until melted together—a nice different taste)