- Cooking Time: 40 min.
- Preparation Time:
- 1 loaf of French Bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- topping recipe (see below)
- maple syrup (add apricot jam if desired to maple syrup)
- ½ pound butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour (maybe a little more)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans (Optional- I didn’t put these in)
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well. I refrigerate this overnight in the bowl and put it on top of the casserole right before baking.
- Slice French bread about 1 inch each.
- Arrange slices in a buttered 9 by 13" pan.
- In a large bowl combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a beater or whisk until blended but not bubbly.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices making sure they are all covered.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Next Day
- Take the casserole out of the refrigerator, crumble the topping on it and bake at 350° for about 40 minutes until puffed and lightly golden.
- I left the foil on for about 10 min. and then removed it.
- Serve with maple syrup or apricot syrup. (In a small sauce pan heat together 1 C maple syrup and apricot jam or preserves until melted together—a nice different taste)
NotesOne of my co-workers made this for a teacher breakfast and it was such a hit - it is amazing!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More