- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. milk - 2% is what I use
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3-4 peeled & cubed potatoes
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1 pt. whipping cream
- Make a stif dough using the egg, salt, milk & flour.
- Put potatoes in boiling water; cut in kneophla (bite-sized pieces about an inch or so), Cook until potatoes are soft; drain well.
- Meanwhile, brown onion. Cut in 1-inch pieces of bacon, brown to desired crispiness; drain well.
- Put all ingredients in 9x13-inch pan. Pour cream over top. Top with browned bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
NotesThis recipe is my great aunt Agnes's. She is a full-blood German woman, so you can guess what this recipe is going to be like. Fattening, but delicious!
The recipe is as my great aunt does it, I have made some of my own modifications!
I cheat, I buy my dough when I am feeling lazy. Here we can buy frozen bite-sized dumpling dough. Not sure what other kind of frozen dough would work for this though.
I also cook my bacon until it is quite crispy, as I don't like it when it is chewy.
Also, I don't top mine with bread crumbs, no special reason why, just haven't tried it yet.
Other than that, it is a great recipe. Hope whoever tries it enjoys it as much as we do!