- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho or other chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. In an ovenproof saucepan or small Dutch oven, heat oil on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño peppers and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Stir in rice and cook 1 minute more. Add 2 3/4 cups water and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stir and cover. Place in oven and bake until rice is tender, about 50 minutes.
NotesServe with beans, soft tortillas and your favorite salsa.
Per serving (about 8oz/217g-wt.): 230 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 41g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 5g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More