BAKED MEXICAN BROWN RICE-VEGAN
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho or other chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. In an ovenproof saucepan or small Dutch oven, heat oil on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño peppers and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Stir in rice and cook 1 minute more. Add 2 3/4 cups water and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stir and cover. Place in oven and bake until rice is tender, about 50 minutes.
NotesServe with beans, soft tortillas and your favorite salsa.
Per serving (about 8oz/217g-wt.): 230 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 41g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 5g protein