- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 7
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups peeled, cubed potato (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (8-ounce) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 7 teaspoons shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 7 teaspoons fully cooked bacon pieces
- 7 teaspoons chopped green onions
- Whisk together flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth until smooth.
- Combine remaining chicken broth and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and 8 ounces shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Top each serving of soup with 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon bacon pieces, and 1 teaspoon chopped green onions.
- Yield - Makes 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup) (serving size: 1 cup)
NotesThis soup was just awesome. I made 2 batches of it within 3 days because I wanted to share it with everyone. Note - We recommend freshly shredded cheese (versus the preshredded variety) for additional creaminess and even melting.
The orignal recipe can be found on myrecipes it was published in southern Living Magazine in Jan 2006.
Growers' Giveback Potluck
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Righteous Indignation Raspberry-Nut Bars
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Lemon Blueberry BreadSee More