- Cooking Time: 60-120
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 small coon or hindquarter and loin of larger young coon 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.
- 3-4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped stalks celery
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 whole clove
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Set oven 400 degrees. 10 minutes before baking.
- Dress coon carefully so as not to leave any clinging hair.
- Remove scent glands and kernels under legs.
- Wrap coon in plastic wrap or foil and chill thoroughly or freeze for several hours.
- Trim off all but a thin layer of fat and any discolored spots.
- Wash well in lukewarm water.
- Cut whole coon or hindquarters and loin into 4 pieces with kitchen scissors or heavy butcher knife.
- Put into 6 qt. roaster add water to cover, then vegetables, salt, sugar, sesonings, garlic and pepper.
- Cover and cook in oven until tender (1-2 hrs depending on age of animal).
- Puree vegetables in a blender to thicken sauce.
NotesBake sweet potatoes or winter squash to go with the dish. A tart vegetable such as sweet-sour red cabbage, or pickled beets are a good accompaniment.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Mom's Cooking SecretsSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More