- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 10-15
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 1/2 cup white Flour
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1/2 t Salt
- 5 T Butter @ room temp.
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk (or use 1 t white vinegar + 1 cup milk and let sit for 5 min prior to adding it to the mix)
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1 egg (for glaze)
- 1/2 cup of currants, or dried fruit: raisins, craisins, applets, etc.
- Cover prebaked scones with cinnamon and sugar then after baking glaze with egg
- Devonshire Cream Substitute:
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 2 1/2 T sugar
- 2 t Lemon Juice
- 1.Preheat oven to 400
- 2.Stir together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- 3.Spread chunks of butter over the mix and blend in the butter.
- 4.Mix in the buttermilk & one of the options if desired (recommended)
- 5.Ball the dough and place on a heavily floured surface. Roll to 1/2" thick and 6.Cut them in triangles (or use a glass and cut them in rounds)
- 7.Place on baking sheet slightly apart and brush top with beaten egg.
- 8.Bake 12-15 min-golden brown.
- 1a.Mix all the ingredients together for Devonshire Cream Substitute
- 2a.Whip or mix ingredients until fluffy.
- 1b.Serve warm or cold with first Cream Topping and then Jam Spread on top.
NotesThis is my modification to a "simply" delicious recipe from "kc10" (the scone master)
I love this recipe because it is simple, quick and the dough is a great foundation to add ingredients to such as dried fruit, cinnamon & sugar, etc.
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More