- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 10-15
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 1/2 cup white Flour
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1/2 t Salt
- 5 T Butter @ room temp.
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk (or use 1 t white vinegar + 1 cup milk and let sit for 5 min prior to adding it to the mix)
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1 egg (for glaze)
- 1/2 cup of currants, or dried fruit: raisins, craisins, applets, etc.
- Cover prebaked scones with cinnamon and sugar then after baking glaze with egg
- Devonshire Cream Substitute:
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 2 1/2 T sugar
- 2 t Lemon Juice
- 1.Preheat oven to 400
- 2.Stir together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- 3.Spread chunks of butter over the mix and blend in the butter.
- 4.Mix in the buttermilk & one of the options if desired (recommended)
- 5.Ball the dough and place on a heavily floured surface. Roll to 1/2" thick and 6.Cut them in triangles (or use a glass and cut them in rounds)
- 7.Place on baking sheet slightly apart and brush top with beaten egg.
- 8.Bake 12-15 min-golden brown.
- 1a.Mix all the ingredients together for Devonshire Cream Substitute
- 2a.Whip or mix ingredients until fluffy.
- 1b.Serve warm or cold with first Cream Topping and then Jam Spread on top.
NotesThis is my modification to a "simply" delicious recipe from "kc10" (the scone master)
I love this recipe because it is simple, quick and the dough is a great foundation to add ingredients to such as dried fruit, cinnamon & sugar, etc.
Simple Homemade Favorites
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More