- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.5kg chicken drumettes, trimmed of fat
- 2L milk
- 2 medium onions, pureed
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup kecap manis *
- 2/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1/4 cup dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- Kecap manis is a thick, sweet soy sauce commonly used in Indonesian cooking. You should be able to find it in any Asian grocery store
- Mix together the milk, onion puree, crushed garlic, salt, sugar and pepper, then taste and add more sugar/salt/pepper as required (it should be ‘fresh’ from the onion, garlicky, sweet with just a hint of a kick from the pepper).
- Submerge the chicken in the milk mix, cover it and leave it to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, remove the chicken from milk marinade and drain for about an hour.
- While chicken is draining, mix together the kecap manis, sweet chilli sauce, dried chilli flakes and the water, then when the chicken has drained, mix it through the fresh marinade, then pack it tightly into a plastic container with the marinade and leave it to marinate overnight in the fridge (or, at the very least for about 2-3 hours).
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C, and place chicken in a baking tray with the marinade poured over the top.
- Cover with a piece of foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- At the 30 minute mark, remove the foil and turn the chicken pieces over, then cover again and bake for another 30 minutes. 10 minutes before removing from the oven, remove the foil to help the chicken take on a little extra colour.
- Remove from the oven, serve with a rice and a side of Asian-inspired salad (for which I’ll put up a recipe another time) and enjoy a delicious dinner
- Read more about this recipe on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More