BAKED SWEET POTATOES WITH WEST AFRICAN-STYLE PEANUT SAUCE
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 375°.
Pierce potatoes with a fork, and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool potatoes slightly.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup water and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring until smooth; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until thick.
Split potatoes lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Spoon about 1/4 cup sauce into each potato. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon cilantro.