- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound ziti rigate, penne rigate or cavatappi (ribbed, hollow corkscrews)
- 1 pound Italian bulk sweet sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10-ounce) sack, 2 1/2 cups, shredded Italian 4 cheese blend, available on dairy aisle
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco), optional
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, a couple of handfuls
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Salt water and cook pasta to a chewy al dente, about 8 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown and crumble the sausage.
- Drain cooked crumbles on paper towel lined plate.
- Return pan to heat and add extra-virgin olive oil, butter, garlic and mushrooms.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly golden.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- To mushrooms, add flour and stir, cooking 2 minutes.
- Whisk in stock, then stir in cream.
- Bring cream to a bubble, then stir in 2 cups of 4 cheese blend.
- When cheese has melted into sauce, add tomatoes.
- When sauce comes to a bubble, remove from heat and adjust seasonings, adding hot sauce if desired.
- Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to baking dish, casserole or oven safe serving platter.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of 4 cheese blend and the grated Parmesan over the top and brown under hot broiler.
NotesI got this yummy recipe from a friend in my mom's group. I made 2 batches to freeze for quick meals after I had my latest little one.